Persian cuisine is amazing. If you have ever heard Persian music I can tell you that Persian food is like notes closed in meals. Taste is deep and misty.
I am leaving in part of the world that Persian or Iranian cuisine is something very exotic and unique. Most of people think that is hard to get ingredients and it so hard to make. In fact, they are pretty wrong. Needed things you can mostly get in local grocery store or in bigger supermarket. Meals aren’t complicated but they are very tasty. One Iranian used to say that Persian cuisine is very tasty but main thing is that you spend a lot of time to prepare it and then quickly eat it as it is so delicious. And he was right – for working people is mostly things you can do during weekend but believe me – it is worth to spend every single minute preparing those dishes.
This time I will show you how to make shole zard – Persian pudding. It is really unique taste not popular in Europe. It is very sweet but so delicious. The colour is beautiful. But what I love most about it is smell – when you are cooking it the whole home smells so lovely!
What you will need:
- 1 cup of rice (I used pudding rice which is a little bit shorter then normal rice, but you can use any kind of white rice)
- 7 cups of water
- a little bit of salt
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 table spoons of butter (or oil, or ghee) – if you do not have it, it is ok, because fat is option
- 1/2 of spoon of saffron
- 1/2 cup of rose water
- 1 tea spoon of cardamom
- Ground saffron and put into 1 table spoon of warm water. Wash rice few times until water will be perfectly clean.
- Boil rice in 7 cups of salted water. When it will be boiling put a lid on a pot, make small gas and boil for another 30 minutes. Rice should be very soft.
- Next put sugar, butter (if you are using one), saffron, rose water and cardamom into the rice. You might use also chopped almonds (1/2 of cup). Now you can enjoy lovely smell that will fill your home!
- Cook it for about 55 minutes. For whole time keep and eye on it – rice should not burn. Pudding should be thick and smooth. If needed you can add additional water.
- Pudding is awesome when hot and cold.
Ta dah! Enjoy! 🙂